I'm typing this from the laptop in the capitol of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. I am still getting over major motion sickness from the flight and am already dreading having to take the 17 hour flight home (the flight home is longer than the way here because we stop in Rome). I spent over an hour in the kitchen part of the plane on my knees waiting to lose it. That flight was just too long and no medicine would help. I'm fairly confident that it was a buildup of so many emotions, sleep deprivation, and the flight movement that made me sick but the rest of our day made up for it all.
We arrived at our guest home around 10 am Ethiopian time on Sunday morning (all of you in Chicago were still sleeping through Saturday night...you're 9 hours behind us). We took a shower, a very brief nap, had lunch and were on our way to see our new little girl. She is amazing! She loves our sunglasses, sat on my lap and kept playing with my hair, and we could not get the bubbles we brought away from her. There are 10 kids in the home where she is now; 5 boys and 5 girls all from the same region so they all speak the same dialect. We saw her bed, where she eats, where she plays and just enjoyed every second with her.
The workers were so kind to us and kept telling her to go by her Mommy and Daddy. We have many pictures of her with Nick's sunglasses on and holding her new blanket. She would not let anyone else touch it--it is hers! We saw her book too. Then we gave her kisses and told her we will see her tomorrow again. We stopped at the Ethiopian church and got to enjoy an amazing time of worship with some fellow believers. Language is no barrier when you're worshipping Him!
So now we are just waiting to skype with the girls before going to bed. We got to spend time with one of the other two families adopting today and they are wonderful. We really enjoy them and look forward to all being together with our kiddos as the week progresses. Tomorrow at 1 pm, the van comes to pick us up again to go see her. I am so amazed at God's work. There have been many prayers for all our hearts to be united. We love and miss all of you at home and while we can not wait to get back home, we know this good-bye will be impossible. So more prayers until we get to bring her home, ok? Hope to write again tomorrow (:
I am praying for you! Sorry about your experience on the flight...I didn't enjoy the long flight either. But, you are right-seeing your little one makes up for it! I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteMindy,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear you were so sick during your flight to Africa. I'm praying even now that your trip home will go much better.
Thanks for sharing how your first visit with precious Baby A went. It sounds like she is quickly forming a bond with her Mommy and Daddy! Praise God!!!
Many, many prayers are going up to the throne of grace on your behalf. We serve a mighty and awesome God who cares deeply for you. Trusting you in His wonderful care.
I'm praying that the Lord will lavish His perfect peace on you when you have to separate from Baby A and come home.
Love You,
Julie
Awwww....now you got me crying!!
ReplyDeleteSara
I am so sorry you were sick during the flight. I am so happy for you and Nick that you have met your daugher. Enjoy each day with her. Cannot wait to see the pictures. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteSheila
HI!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to read your post. I can hear your voice as I read your words and can hear how overjoyed you are! I did start crying AGAIN. :) I have a beautiful image in my head of what the three of you look like as your build your bond :) The girls have been in touch and have told us bits and pieces that you have shared with them about their sister. I heard that Nick was surrounded by all the children and loving every moment of it!!!! Everyone is doing great here! The party was super cute and all four grandparents were there to oversee the chocolate madness! Hailey looked precious and super happy sitting in the princess chair taking pictures with everyone. I got a great one of her with the two grandma's.:) Miss you so much! Big hugs and kisses to you! Give a few extra hugs to the children there, if you can, from me too!
How amazing! I can't wait to see her and meet her myself! I am so happy for you and your family! I was in tears reading this post! So very glad things are working out!
ReplyDeleteMandy
I couldn't find the link for your blog-thankfully Patti was able to send it to me! I couldn't sleep after leaving the airport, I was so excited for you! I know I've said it many times, but I believe that things are meant to be, and your first meeting proves that you are her "meant to be". What an amazing day-the first of many with your new little one!!
ReplyDeleteSafe journeys!!! Julie
Sorry to hear you were so sick on your flight over. :( It was ALL made up the second you got to hold your baby!!!! WE are so excited for your family!!! I was so excited to see a post from you. We will continue to pray for you, your safe travel home & that God will protect your baby as she waits your return. Blessings!!! Mark & Tami Stege
ReplyDelete