Jan 28, 2011

Heartache and Joy

How can I experience those two painful emotions all at once? 

Heartache - This morning we received an email from our travel agent stating our flight to return home was cancelled.  It appears that the flights are wide open so most of the weekday flights are being eliminated.  The good news about that is we're coming home earlier than planned (now our flight leaves Sunday night from Ethiopia instead of Monday) but the bad news is that we can not make the trip to visit our sponsored World Vision child.  I cried as I spoke to the WV representative on the phone saying we won't be able to make the visit.  I did find out that the national office is close to where we're staying so we are taking a huge box of gifts to our sponsored child and her family, but we won't see her face when she opens the box and being that close is a difficult pill to swallow. 

Amidst the tears were prayers from a faithful friend who reminded me that God knew this part of the plan all along.  He was and still is in control.  We may never understand why this didn't work out but I trust Him and He is good.

JOY - I went to the mailbox and immigration has approved our updated home study (since she is a little older than our previous home study allowed).  We were expecting that to take months but this was just a little over 2 weeks turnaround time!!!!  I can hardly even believe I'm holding the letter in my hand, seriously.  I have to keep reading it to make sure it's what I think it is.......amazing.  Absolutely incredibly amazing and something the Lord has handed to us so generously.  Now we're set to bring her home!  Baby A, in one week and one day, I will be holding you wanting to never let go.  And wait until your sisters get to hug you sweet girl. 

Thanks to everyone for the prayers, the kind words, the many offers to help while we're gone and the financial gifts.  You are all such an incredible blessing.  Let the countdown begin.....8 days to go..........

2 comments:

  1. Now you have a reason to go back!

    ...Counting with you - 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a few more days! We are all praying for a safe journey for you and NIck. When I read your bittersweet post it made me think of the familiar quote which says "When one door shuts, another window opens." I am anxiously waiting to hear what window opened for you two while in Ethiopia. :) God is holding you near and has great things in store for you! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete